Here are some great questions (in original form attributed to Gordon MacDonald) to ask yourself and those with whom you are in a discipling/accountability relationship. Finding someone to share some form of these questions and their honest answers with might just change the way your day-to-day life looks:
1. How is your relationship with God right now?
2. What have you read in the Bible in the past week?
3. What is God teaching you in this reading?
4. Where do you find yourself resisting God these days?
5. What specific things are you praying for in regard to yourself? Others?
7. What are the specific tasks facing you right now that you consider incomplete?
8. What habits intimidate you?
9. What have you read in the press this week?
10. What general reading are you doing?
11. What have you done to play?
12. How are you doing with your spouse? Kids?
13. If I were to ask your spouse about your state of mind, state of spirit, state of energy level, what would the response be?
14. Are you sensing spiritual attacks right now?
15. If Satan were to try to invalidate you as a person or as a servant of the Lord, how might he do it? What ammo could your life be giving him?
16. What is the state of your sexual perspective? Tempted? Dealing with fantasies? Entertainment?
17. Where are you financially right now? Things under control? Under anxiety? In great debt?
18. Are there any unresolved conflicts in your circle of relationships right now?
19. When was the last time you spent time with a good friend of your own gender?
20. What kind of quality time have you spent with someone who is different from you (in faith or worldview) this week? How have you shown love to this person/people?
21. What challenges do you think you’re going to face in the coming week? Month?
22. What would you say are your fears at this present time?
23. Are you sleeping well?
24. What three things are you most thankful for?
25. Do you like yourself at this point in your pilgrimage?
26. What are your greatest confusions about your relationship with God?
To find a trustworthy, encouraging person whom you can weekly or monthly rally around these questions and give honest answers is invaluable. If you don’t have this person in your life and would be interested in finding him or her, feel free to contact Matt today.